- 40 salted saltine crackers or enough to line your pan
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups milk chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips
- (optional) 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a cookie sheet with at least a 1/2 inch edge or jelly roll pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Line saltine crackers in a single layer on the cookie sheet.
- In a small pot combine sugar and butter and bring to a boil. Once mixture is at a boil, continue boiling for 3 minutes. Mixture should be a deep caramel color. Immediately pour over saltines and spread to cover crackers completely.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 5 to 6 minutes. It will get all bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and let sit a couple of minutes to melt. Sometimes I melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for about 1 minute then spread it on. Spread melted chocolate and top with chopped nuts if desired. Cool completely and break into pieces.
You should either use salted butter or salted saltines but not both. I used salted crackers and unsalted butter in this one.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin