- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled
- Canola oil for frying
- Cinnamon sugar for garnishing
- Caramel sauce, warmed
- Whisk egg until frothy and then whisk in water and vanilla. Whisk in flour and salt and let sit while slicing apples.
- Slice peeled apples into 1/2 inch thick slices across the apple’s diameter (you will get about 4 slices per apple). Using varying sized biscuit cutters, cut “rings” out of apple slices so that the rings are a little thicker than 1/4 inch each, discarding smallest circle containing core.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees. (Caution: Don’t let oil get too hot – your rings will burn quickly. If rings are cooking too quickly, lower the heat of the oil a bit.)
- Dip apple rings into batter, letting excess drip off. Cook in oil in small batches, turning frequently to monitor browning. When the rings turn golden brown, remove to a plate and while still hot sprinkle generously with cinnamon sugar. Serve immediately with warm drizzled caramel sauce.