- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1beaten egg
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 2-1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbs milk
- Heat water and milk in microwave to scalding (not quite boiling)
- Pour into mixing bowl, and allow to cool slightly so you don’t kill the yeast.
- Add oil, sugar, and salt. Mix until well blended.
- Add in beaten egg and 2 cups of the flour, mixing well.
- Add in instant yeast and mix well.
- Allow to sit about 10 minutes uncovered.
- Now, start to slowly add in more flour.
- When dough starts to clear the sides of the bowl, allow it to mix for about 8 minutes. (or knead by hand at this point)
- Add a tablespoon of oil to a clean bowl, tipping to coat bottom.
- Place dough into bowl, flipping to coat both sides with oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest till double in bulk – about 1 hour.
- Remove dough and knead a few times to release bubbles.
- Cut the dough into 8 – 12 pieces (depending on the size you desire)
- Allow to rest about 5 minutes.
- Take each portion and roll into a rope from 24 – 36” long (depending on the size of your tubes)
- Roll ropes around the greased cream horn tubes, starting at the bottom as shown.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment (or silpat liner)
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with sesame seeds and/or poppy seeds if desired.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for between 18 to 22 minutes – watching closely for over browning.
- Place on wire racks to cool completely before removing tubes.
- Fill cooled bread cones with sandwich filling as desired.